Monday 30 July 2012

Mini Puff Pastry Quiches

I've been trying to think of new things to put in my 6 year olds lunch box to add a bit of variety during the week. I've made mini quiches before but never with cream cheese so I thought I'd give this recipe a go. The puff pastry works really well, I buy the ready rolled and it's a real time saver.

I started by making the herby cream cheese. I've got a couple of pots of mixed herbs growing in the garden so I sent my son off to cut some- he came back with chives, sage, thyme and oregano.

20120724_113344

After washing and drying, we chopped them finely in my mini-chopper and then stirred in about 3/4 tub of cream cheese.

Next we sliced 1 red pepper and 1 onion and I gently fried in olive oil until soft and seasoned with salt, then added 2 big handfuls of spinach and allowed it to wilt. There was no excess water so I didn't need to drain it.

Slightly different from the recipe- I put 3 eggs in a measuring jug and added a splash of milk and black pepper, I didn't mix this with the vegetables as I wanted to get an even amount of each veg in each quiche so I kept the egg mixture aside to pour on later.

I got the puff pastry out of the fridge, unrolled it and kept the blue plastic backing to lay it on the worktop and cut out the quiche bases. I managed to get 14 bases out of a 350g pack.

I popped the pastry bases into a greased mincepie tray- word of warning here- the quiches stuck to my non-stick black tin but not my ordinary silver tin so don't use non-stick!

20120724_121434

Then I added a small teaspoon of the herby cheese mix, topped with the vegetables and poured on the egg mix. Finally I added one more small teaspoon of the herby cheese mix on top and put them in my fan oven at 200C for 15mins. Apparently add 5 mins more for a conventional oven.

And the verdict? Thumbs up from my son but said he'd want the kitchen cook to heat them up if he has them in his lunchbox! We'll try them cold tomorrow for lunch and see what he thinks then :)
20120724_124843
20120724_130158

No comments:

Post a Comment